khcpl logo

Main & South
9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m
9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
2:30 pm-5:30 p.m.
10:00 a.m.-1:00p.m.

*Russiaville is closed Wednesdays

Hours Today

Main & South:


COVID-19-related Community Resources

Everyone has been impacted by COVID-19 in some way. Here’s the information you need to deal with the changes and challenges.

humorous mask diagram showing several wrong ways to wear a mask

Library Mask Policy: What to Expect When Visiting Us

To protect patrons and staff, and to adhere to CDC guidelines to reduce the spread of the deadly COVID virus, we suggest that people who are not yet vaccinated wear a mask while at any of our facilities, including bookmobiles. If you don’t have a mask, we’ll happily provide you a FREE one.The mask needs to cover your nose and mouth at all times.If you cannot wear a mask, we stock a limited number of face shields.If you cannot or wish not to wear a mask or face shield, we invite you to use our FREE Curbside Pickup service. Employees will still wear a mask when in the public areas of the library. Plexiglas cannot be used as a barrier.

Medical Information

Think you've been exposed to COVID-19 or have it?

Community Health Network has implemented a COVID-19 Triage Resource Center. If you have concerns or questions about symptoms or exposure, call 765.776.3990.

In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a self-checker. You’ll be prompted to answer questions to find out if you need to seek medical care. Click here to begin:

Health information

For Ascension's COVID information click the following:

Community Howard Regional Health has a frequently asked questions page about COVID-19, including virtual care options and how to donate personal protective equipment PPE. Click here:

Number of local and state cases and deaths

For the Indiana State Department of Health's COVID-19 information, including the number of positive cases and deaths by county, click here:

Government Updates

The Indiana Governor’s Executive Orders

For all of Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb's Executive Orders, including those about COVID-19, click here:

City of Kokomo COVID information

For the City of Kokomo's COVID-19 information, including information about public transportation and park closures, click here:

For any City of Kokomo page mentioning COVID-19, click here:

Howard County COVID-19 Ordinances

For the Howard County Commissioners' latest emergency ordinances regarding COVID-19, click here and scroll down to IMPORTANT NOTICES:

Food and Personal Finances

Economic stimulus checks

If you receive benefits from the Social Security Administration and file taxes, you WILL NOT have to claim the amount of your economic impact payment (also known as economic stimulus check) as income and you will AUTOMATICALLY receive the economic impact payment. If you receive benefits from the Social Security Administration and DO NOT file taxes, click here to fill out the online form to make sure you get your economic impact payment:

Please note: DO NOT use this form if you will be filing a 2019 return. If you are required to file a return, using this tool will NOT speed up your stimulus payment and will likely slow down processing of your tax return and receiving any refund.

Food and cash assistance

If you have lost income, it is time to tap available resources to help you get by during this challenging time.

To apply for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as food stamps), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (a program that provides cash assistance and supportive services to assist families with children under age 18, which includes grandparents and other family members who take care of those children), or Health Coverage (Indiana offers several health coverage options to qualified low-income individuals and families, individuals with disabilities and the elderly with limited financial resources), click here to apply for either or all of them:

You can also apply for SNAP by phone at 800.403.0864 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

Need food now? The Kokomo Rescue Mission offers Grab and Go meals and Grocery Bag Assistance. For details, click here

Kokomo Center Schools will be providing breakfast and lunches until the end of the school year. Ten meals, consisting of five breakfasts and five lunches, are distributed from 9 a.m. to noon each Wednesday at Bon Air Middle School (2796 N. Apperson Way), Central Middle School (303 E. Superior St.) and Maple Crest Middle School (2727 S. Washington St.). All Howard County students are eligible.

If you live in Center Township in Howard County, click here to apply for assistance with expenses such as utility bills, rent, and insulin.

For help from other townships in Howard County, click here for contact information:;Kokomo,%20Howard%20County;16678;;N;0;0;Clothing%20Vouchers;clothing;;0;N

Not sure what township you live in? Here’s a Howard County map divided by townships:

or you can search by your address using this site

Unemployment/Job Searching

File for unemployment

To file for unemployment, click on the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (often called the Unemployment Office). Click here:

You can also call the Indiana Department of Workforce Development’s toll-free number:

800.891.6499 or 317.232.7560 for (TDD). Please note: The call center is experiencing very high call volumes right now.

To know what information you'll need to have ready to be able to file for unemployment, click here:

To file for unemployment because of COVID, click here:

Tips for getting a job

Unemployed or underemployed? Get tips on everything from finding a job, to writing a cover letter and resume, and having a successful interview, click here:


Health, Mental Health and Safety

Domestic violence

During times of stress, cases of domestic violence increase. Are you being abused? Do you know someone who is? Call the Families First hotline 317.634.6341 and ask to speak with the Program Assistant for Domestic Violence services.

You can also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline. Advocates are available 24/7 at 1.800.799.SAFE (7233). Assistance is available in more than 200 languages. All calls are free and confidential.

Local Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault 24 Hour Crisis Line:

Sexual violence

Sexual violence is NEVER okay, no matter what. If you’ve been sexually abused or assaulted, call the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673) to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area.

Child abuse and neglect

If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, call the Indiana Department of Child Services' Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 800.800.5556. It’s available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. You can report abuse and neglect anonymously.

Mental health information

For COVID-19-related mental health information and resources from Mental Health America, including tips on dealing with anxiety and tips for parents and caregivers, click here:

Local Mental Health America:

Mental health help

For the Howard County System of Care, a PDF providing links and information about resources and mental health help in response to COVID-19, click here:

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. Call 1.800.985.5990. If you prefer to text rather than talk, text TalkWithUs to 66746. It also provides a list of resources related to COVID 19. Click here:

Local Addiction Services

Turning Point:

Suicide prevention

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides free and confidential support 24/7 for people in distress, including prevention and crisis resources for you and/or your loved ones.


For more information and resources, go to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline website. Click here:

Help for veterans

If you are a service member or veteran in crisis or you’re concerned about one, there are specially trained responders ready to help you, 24/7. The Veterans Crisis Line connects service members and veterans in crisis, as well as their family members and friends, with qualified, caring VA responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text-messaging service.


Dial 1.800.273.8255 and press 1 to talk to someone.

Send a text message to 838255 to connect with a VA responder.

Start a confidential online chat session at

Take a self-check quiz to learn whether stress and depression might be affecting you:

Find a VA facility near you by clicking here:

Go here to connect through chat, text, or TTY if you are deaf or hard of hearing:

Help for caregivers

Being a caregiver for a person living with dementia isn’t easy any time. Not being able to get away for respite, due to travel restrictions, business closures, and socially isolating, makes it harder. If you need help, call the Alzheimer’s Association’s toll-free number. It’s manned 24/7.


People living with dementia may forget to wash their hands or take other recommended precautions to prevent COVID-19. In addition, diseases like COVID-19 and the flu may worsen cognitive impairment due to dementia. Click here for COVID-19 tips for dementia caregivers:

For additional help from the Alzheimer’s Association, including information about virtual support groups, click here:

Local hotlines

Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault 24 Hour Crisis Line:

Mental Health America:

Turning Point (addiction services):


Support local businesses

To find out what local businesses are offering, such as food delivery or specials, or auto shops picking up your vehicle for oil changes and repairs and then delivering it back to you, etc., go to the Greater Kokomo Open for Business Facebook page

Grocery-shopping tips

For grocery-shopping tips during COVID-19, click here:


Free legal documents

Need legal documents now as you deal with COVID? With your KHCPL card, you have access to NUWAV Legal Documents, which is an online tool that lets you create professional-quality documents in three simple steps, including wills, power of attorney, divorce, and healthcare representative. Click here to get started and scroll down to NUWAV Legal Documents:


If you need further legal assistance you can visit Indiana Legal Services Inc They are a non profit law firm that provides free civil legal assistance to eligible low-income residents throughout Indiana. They are currently working remotely due to COVID 19 but are accepting new cases.


The U.S. Department of Justice works to detect, investigate, and prosecute wrongdoing related to the COVID-19 crisis, including scams and reports of price-gouging and hoarding. Click here to find out what to do.